Tuesday, February 24, 2009

i'm sad u are gone


this is a picture of a manikin that we practised resuscitation on. The scenario: a 10 year old boy falls of his bike with bruises on his face and complains of pain in his tummy. He is confused. (GCS of 11). So the 5 of us med students spilt up our roles. Airway doctor, circulation doctor(me), team leader, nurse, etc. When it comes to my turn, Dr Davidson asks me to start....so i "feel" for his pulse at his wrist...then say capillary refill time on his finger is normal. She points out that I have gone to the wrong place to assess capillary refill time, and as she is talking to me, she lifts the dummy's arm, and it breaks off! OMG. then she says...."no wonder there is no pulse there....the arm is BROKEN."
HAHA. anyway, I corrected myself by saying we go on the sternum to assess refill time.
Next, I ask (cos chara asked me) how can we tell using ultrasound that there is intra-abdominal bleeding from the spleen since its retro-peritoneal. She gives me a wierd stare and says.....read your anatomy textbook again. its NOT retro-peritoneal. I was so so embarrassed.
Just watching babies the past few weeks a diff ages makes me want to have a baby now! and want to see him/her grow up. it brings back so many memories of my younger siblings.
walked past my boy's room today. it was empty, lights were turned off. Just missed your smile and excitement whenever i came around and you would wave out to me. and u finally did get my name. I hope i wont see u at hosp again.

No comments: